Monday, May 31, 2010
The Government of Malaysia is urged to condemn Israeli raid on the Lifeline4Gaza humanitarian aid flotilla
Isnin 31hb Mei 2010
The Government of Malaysia is urged to condemn Israeli raid on the Lifeline4Gaza humanitarian aid flotilla.
Latest Development on the Lifeline4Gaza Flotilla:
1. As have been widely publicised, the Lifeline4Gaza flotilla has come under attack by the Israeli armed forces. Israeli aggressors have boarded the capital ship Mavi Marmara and open fire resulting in 3 volunteers dead and more than 30 others seriously injured. Mavi Marmara is one of the 7 strong flotilla enroute to Gaza to deliver the much awaited material aids to the besieged people of Gaza.
2. Twelve volunteers including media representatives from Malaysia is on board the capital ship Mavi Marmara. Their participation is purely humanitarian in nature.
3. All the objectives and movement of the flotilla is in compliance with the UN Security Council Resolution 1860 (2009) and all relevant maritime regulations. Resolution 1860 stated among others:
a) Appeal for deliverance of humanitarian aid to Gaza including food, fuel and medical assistance.
b) Urge efforts to ease passage and other mechanisms for the unimpeded deliverance of aids.
c) Call for all nations to support such efforts at the international level to alleviate the dire humanitarian and economic situation in Gaza
d) condemns acts of agression and attacks on civilians and all forms of acts of terrorism.
Every Malaysian participants in the flotilla are holding fast to the international regulations and laws and vow to uphold the goodname of Malaysia and our national aspirations.
4. The flotilla is laden with 10,000 tonnes of material aid. Over 540 volunteers are on board Mavi Marmara, including Parliamentarians, academics, journalists, scholars, an infant less than a year old and a senior citizen over 80 years old. No weapons were brought in this flotilla even for self defense which testifies to the wholly humanitarian nature of the mission.
5. Based on these facts it is very clear indeed that Israel has violated international laws.
Whatmore the raid took place in international waters and on an unarmed aid ship on a humanitarian mission. Israeli rash action deserve a worldwide condemnation in the strongest possible term.
6. We appeal to the Government of Malaysia under the premiership of YAB Dato' Seri Mohd Najib Tun Razak and Datin Seri Paduka Rosmah Mansor in her capacity as patron for the Palestinian Aid Donations Drive to issue a statement condemning Israel for the murderous aggression on a peaceful flotilla whose objective is to deliver aid to the beseiged people of Gaza.
7. We call for the UN to convene an emergency assembly to pass a strong resolution against Israel and to summon Israeli leaders to the international court of justice for crime against humanity.
8. We call upon the Malaysians from all walks of life to express their utmost concern of the grave situation and to be ready to respond to any need for action and calls for our support in dealing with the incident.
9. We appeal to all political leaders, NGOs and the Malaysia people to join together in coming to the aid of the volunteers.
10. We also call upon every strata of the society to continue to supplicate and pray for the success of this mission and the safety of the volunteers from further untoward incidence.
Zulkifli Mohd Nani
Crises Management Team for LL4G Malaysia